Saturday, January 22, 2011

A Quilting Break



I'm not a great cook. I have a few go-to recipes that I really love and besides that, well, we eat a lot of take out. I don't really enjoy cooking. I think it's because my 2 oldest children are such incredibly picky eaters that what I make usually gets shunned for a frozen corn dog. And that just makes me feel bad. It's funny because I really tried hard with my first two children to get them to eat healthy food. It wasn't until my third came along, and I completely gave up hope of having a child who at least tasted their dinner before pretending to throw up, that I got a little girl who LOVES to eat. When she came along, I had already given up, didn't care anymore, and tried to give her the frozen corn dog. When she pushed that away and reached for the broccoli on my plate, I almost fell out of my chair!

The 3 of us (my husband, C, and I) really like this recipe. My mom asked for it the other day and I thought "why not share with everyone". It's super simple, but people hear I'm making Ham Fried Rice and are impressed for some reason. It totally hits the spot whenever I am craving Chinese take out, which is often. Not to sure if this is a "healthy meal", but it does have vegetables that my daughter (and husband) actually eat.

Ham Fried Rice
serves 6

4 eggs, lightly beaten
3 teaspoons oil
4 cups cold cooked rice
1 1/2 cup diced fully cooked ham
1 package frozen vegetables
1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger
Dash of pepper
Dash of chili powder (I put a couple dashes!)
2 Tablespoons soy sauce

In a large skillet, cook and stir eggs in oil over medium heat, until eggs are completely set (just like making scrambled eggs). Remove eggs and set aside. In the same skillet, cook the rice, ham, garlic powder, ginger, pepper, and chili powder until heated through. Stir in the soy sauce and reserved eggs.




Our one vice (well maybe not the only one, but that's a diffrent story)... delicious Mountain Dew. So we aren't totally health conscious, but we don't drink alcohol so we have to replace that with something.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know where to write ... but let me tell you your blog is so beautiful! I will follow you .... and hope to use your slippers tutorial, it's veeeeeery nice!!
    Many compliments!

    Anna from Italy

    ReplyDelete