Monday, March 12, 2012

Fabric Scraps Spring Wreath

Well, it's not a totally original idea, I've seen a lot of these wrapped fabric wreaths around, but I love the fact that I used some tiny scraps left over from cutting out some blocks to make it. See, one of my very favorite things to buy at the fabric store (besides charm packs, jelly rolls and layer cakes) is 1/6 of a yard. I'm not sure if all fabric stores will cut that for you, but the ones around me usually will. I choose to buy 1/6 when I don't have a plan but it's a fabric I have to have. It's the perfect size to square up nicely into 5 inch squares, and there is a lot you can do with 5 inch squares.
I take my strips home and trim them down to 5 inches and basically make a charm pack out them. I then end up with a pretty little pile of fabric strips in my trash.
This time though I pulled them out of the trash and started to wrap. Because I can see myself wanting to change my wreath often for the seasons, I used pins to pin my strips into place. I made sure to wrap the next strip around the head of the pin to hide it.
Anyway, there you go... a pretty way to use up every last bit of that fabric.
I haven't decided yet what I'll do with my newly cut 5 inch squares. For now they are sitting pretty on my sewing table.

3 comments:

  1. This is GORGEOUS! Now I have to find out if my fabric store will cut 1/6ths for me! I love that I'm not the only one who has to buy a certain fabric just because I love it even when I don't have a plan for it. Usually I get a fat quarter and then figure I can make a pillow with it......my husband has a limit to how many pillows we need.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy, This is by far the cutest fabric wreath out there that I have seen! Most are so boring and plain. I love the wool felt flower detail, and the ric rac you are using to hang it with :) So cute!!

    ReplyDelete