Monday, February 28, 2011

Tips For Sewing With Minky


I love this fabric! It's called minky, and it is soooooo soft. I've used it in quite a few projects, from QUILTS to OWLS to SLIPPERS. But, there's no way around it, it is hard to work with. I thought I'd share what I've learned about sewing with minky in hopes that less people will make the same mistakes as me.

Tip #1
Pin A LOT! As you can see in my picture below I pinned this little owl like mad! Minky stretches, shifts and curls so the more pins the better.

Tip #2
Spray adhesive is fantastic. When I am putting minky on the back of a quilt, spray adhesive works far better than pins or basting. Check out THIS POST of mine for tips on quilting your own quilts using spray adhesive.
Tip #3
No heat! Minky does not shrink in your washer, but don't dry it in the dryer! Especially if your minky has those cute little raised dots. The heat will make you dots go flat. The same is true with an iron. Not only will your dots disappear but minky can MELT!
Tip #4
Keep a lint roller near by, minky sheds when you cut it and gets everywhere.
Tip #5
If you are sewing cotton fabric to minky, stitch with your minky side down and let your feeders guide the minky along. It works a lot better this way and the minky doesn't slip as much. A walking foot, I sure would also be great, but since I don't own one yet, you'll have to let me know :)
Tip #6
And lastly, just an idea, when you're putting minky on the back of a quilt or piecing it into a quilt, like I've done HERE, (especially a baby quilt, that you wouldn't want too bulky anyway) try skipping the batting. It will save you a little bit of money (which is nice because good minky can be pricey) and minky adds quite a bit of softness, loft and warmth on it's own.