Saturday, December 8, 2012

Kids Craft, Owl Pinecone Ornament

 
I first saw this idea HERE and thought it was so cute!
 
One afternoon while the kids were home from school we headed to the park and gathered pine cones. Most of the pine cones we found were still closed, but did you know you can force pine cones to open up for you in the oven? I placed my pine cones on a cookie sheet in a 200 degree oven and they slowly opened up. It took about 3 hours for them to fully open. It also drys the sap and gets rid of any bugs that might be hiding among your pine cones.

 
I created the little Santa hats with hot glue and fabric scraps and the owl eye from paper. Some large googly eyes would be super cute too.
 

 
I let the kids put the rest of the owl together themselves. A bit of ribbon hot glued to the back creates the hanger for the Christmas tree.
 
 
 
 

 


1 comment: