Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The Blanket Recovery Project

 
Our little C has a "B" that she loves more than anything in the world. About 5 years ago when I was brand new to quilting, I was sorely tempted by some cute fat quarters at the quilt shop I had just started working at.
 
 
I brought home my new purchase and set to work making a quilt for my brand new baby girl. Little did I know she would become very attached (I should have know, my other daughter has a "wiggy" that she still sleeps with every night). Had I known, I would have taken better care to do it right and I might not have ended up with this 5 years later...
 
 
Dreadful!
 
I pieced the top but never quilted it, just tied it. So all those seams started to come undone and lately I've been finding pieces of it around the house. It was time for a facelift. The experienced quilter in me now couldn't stand it any longer!
 
 
I let my daughter watch me do this to her beloved blanket because I wanted her to know it was still her "B". I assured her that "B" would be much happier when all this "itchy" stuff was off her. She even helped me and only cried once when I accidentally ripped a hole in the back. We mended it and got back to work. Then we went through my fabric stash and she picked out the fabric for her new blanket.
 
A full 32oz diet coke gone, a headache, very soar arms, and only 3 hours later... this is what we accomplished!
 
 
"B" before was fun to crawl inside and wear as a toga :)
 
 
"B" after! A beautiful, usable blanket again.
 
 
Our recovery project was a success (I was quite worried the whole time!). She has been carrying it around all day and told me that "B has never been so proud".
 
 
With her new facelift, B might just make it to college someday!